Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Entry 295: PAKLIS #1


I'm finally entering into the world of creator-owned-comics. This MAY you'll be able to get the first issue of PAKLIS. Here's the description:
Do you accept the life you've been handed, or do you step into the unknown, even as it leads you into the shadows?

Image Comics is pleased to introduce PAKLIS—a new anthology series from writer/artist Dustin Weaver—where the characters in three mind-bending stories find themselves faced with dark, existential questions that will haunt readers.
 "My influences on this series range from Kafka to Miyazaki. The Twilight Zone, Aeon Flux cartoons, and the comics of Moebius and Otomo are all major touchstones," said Weaver.
In “MUSHROOM BODIES,” Greg struggles with knowing what’s real and fears becoming complacent in a world of human insects.
In the first installment of “SAGITTARIUS A*,” war hero Linus Rad is on a mission to the center of the galaxy to learn the dark secrets of his dead father’s scientific experiments.
In the first chapter of “AMNIA CYCLE,” Tara, a young Jet-Wing pilot, goes AWOL in the war against the Nuriel in order to help Amnia, a mysterious alien with no memory of where she came from and a desperate need to stop a terrible disaster! When Amnia disappears, it sends Tara on an adventure into the Shadow Zone.
 Step into the unknown. Journey into the shadows. There you’ll find PAKLIS.
PAKLIS #1 (Diamond Code MAR170691) hits stores on Wednesday, May 31st. The final order cutoff deadline for comics retailers is Monday, May 8th.



So, for the most part, I wrote this description, which is a totally new thing for me to do. It was tough. I've never written this sort of thing before, but that's a lot of what this comic is--me doing things I've never done before. Because on this comic I'm doing everything. I do have some collaborations in this series, but on this first issue, it's all me.

To me, doing everything feels very vulnerable. I did a short interview in the Image Plus Magazine where I talk a little bit about it.

As for that solicitation, I never wrote "dark, existential questions that will haunt readers." I don't know what will haunt a reader. Sounds a little presumptuous.

Here's that interview:

That interview was accompanied by these pages from the issue.


My plans for this series are extensive, and I've decided that, whether people like it or not, I'm just going to keep making it, even if it means I gotta sell all the originals I've saved over the years and start a Patreon. Already, I'm almost done with issue 5, I have up to issue 10 planned out, and I have ideas that could fill up to issue 20 at least. And in this series, I could literally do anything. You never know what will be in the next issue. It's going to be a real adventure and I'm inviting you. I'm inviting you on an adventure.

So anyway, if you are interested in being here for the kicking off of this adventure, if this sounds like something you would like, then pick up this first issue.

You can pre-order it with Diamond Code MAR170691.

If it doesn't sound like something you would like, don't pre-order it.

Blogged and blogged

No comments:

Post a Comment