Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Entry 252: S.H.IE.L.D. update #7


I last posted a S.H.I.E.L.D. Update back in January 2014. It was just an image of the title page of Jonathan Hickman's script for the final issue. At that time he was finally finding the time to return to writing Shield. It was the beginning of our progress on the final issue.

So, what has happened since then? In March I started receiving those pages of script from Jonathan and I began working on them. While doing covers for New Avengers, a  Shutter #1 variant cover, and moving to a new studio I worked on the first pages of the last Shield issue. When I was about ten pages in I got the opportunity to write and draw an issue of Edge of Spider-Verse. I knew it would be a major distraction from Shield, but I believe it was a worth while distraction. At first I did get some Shield pages done even as I worked on my Spider-verse issue. After completing Edge of Spider-Verse #3 and my pages for Avengers 35 I was finally free to finish Shield…. Almost. There was one last distraction. I'll post about that soon.  I'll also point out that during all of this I've done a lot of Amnia Cycle pages. Anyway, to make a long story short-- I've been chipping away at this final issue of Shield for seven months and I'm excited to tell you that


It IS DONE! 
S.H.I.E.L.D. IS ALL DRAWN 

I drew the last panels just the day before yesterday. I'm not totally out of the woods yet. I'll still be communicating with Sonia Oback about colors and being involved in whatever way I can to make the final product as good as it can be. It isn't over till it's over. So it doesn't quite feel real yet.

Speaking of Sonia Oback on colors-- here is a sequence of panels from the second to last issue with Sonia's colors.


Neat! Huh?

The image at the top of this entry is a panel from the final issue.  Here is another.


And, what the hell, here is a photo of a panel also from the final issue.


So there you have it. And you thought it was never going to happen. How dare you doubt me. 

This is not my last S.H.I.E.L.D. update entry. I'll be back to show you how things progress with the colors and to let you know about a release schedule.

As always, thanks to everyone who has been waiting patiently for this. I look forward to it all being out for you guys to see.

Till next time.

Blogged and blogged.

15 comments:

  1. Love this epic story and the fact that the team have kept raising the bar despite endless interruptions. If, ultimately, you give it the time it needs we all win, and the tale will entertain and inform for years. -Dejarik Czar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delay in response. Thank you. I hope that we have done a good job. I'm feeling good about it right now.

      Delete
  2. Man that's great news Dustin. I'm glad you and Mr. Hickman let it simmer and not rush it. Based on the success of the S.H.I.E.L.D TV show, I can't help but to get excited that ABC may dip into this amazing series and expand the show to new dimensions...then dare I say into the MCU??? Exciting times indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for doubting, I'm really excited and I can't wait for the release of the last two issues. You and Mr. Hickman clearly did a great job

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the best news I have heard in a while! Can't wait to have #5 and 6 in hand. One question though, are we going to have this by the end of the year? I read Marvel is launching a new shield comic at the end of the year that follows the characters from the show? How is this going to work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry for the double post but just realized that the place that the illuminati is hiding out at in new avengers #25 is the ruins of the city under Rome. Is the story arc in avengers and new avengers going to tie into the events of S.H.I.E.L.D?!

      Delete
    2. You know, I don't know how the release schedule will work with the new Shield series. We might stick issue 5 and 6 together into one issue... I don't know. It will all work out somehow.
      As far as Avengers tying into Shield- I can't really say. I do know that with Shield ending we'll certainly start seeing more things from the series start popping up in Marvel comics. It's like we created some new toys and until now we weren't done playing with them ourselves. Now we can release them into the Marvel universe for others to play with.

      Delete
  5. Great news! I also managed to read your Edge of Spider-Verse issue. I really liked it. It's a pity it ended that way, but it leaves a sort of open ending. Really nice.
    Oh, the protagonist's hairstyle gave me a really strong 70's vibe! Was it intentional?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I was aiming for a 60's-70's mod vibe. Very influenced by old manga, particularly Tezuka.
      Thanks for checking it out. I'm glad you liked it. I'll be doing a big post about that issue soon.

      Delete
  6. Is this still getting published? Or is the destruction of all multiverse interferring in it? I need an ending!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, I would really like to read this as well! All those issues are sitting on my reading pile since 2010!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Dustin, do you have some news about S.H.I.E.L.D? I'm waiting patiently to read the final issues. Thanks for your magnificent art.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/02/16/s-h-i-e-l-d-5-6-the-rebirth-marvel-preview/

      Delete