Monday, May 21, 2012

Entry 147: Astonishing X-Men #53

Wolverine DONE GONE ATE A BOMB!!!

"...We got your x-ray back from the lab, Logan, and we think we know what your problem is. You done gone ate a bomb, dinja? DINJA?

... Oh, and also your skeleton is all effed up. You shouldn't cover it with metal like that. It's really bad for you. I know you have a "healing factor" and all that, but I'm guessing that healing ability and immunity of yours is supported by blood cells and lymphocytes both of which are created in the bone marrow which you have completely shut off by coating your bones IN METAL!"

RELAX, imaginary doctor person. Wolverine's a mutant. Maybe he creates blood cells in a different part of his body. What am I saying, of course he does.

Anyway. Thanks for looking at this and reading these words. This is Dustin Weaver's blog and that image is my cover for Astonishing X-Men #53. That's right, we've skipped over previewing #51 and #52. We skipped #51 obviously because it's a big secret and Marvel has big plans for it's unveiling. And we skipped #52 I don't know why. Marvel hasn't put it out for preview. I'd like to show it to you, but I guess I'll wait.

But who needs those other covers when you've got Wolver-bomb!... Bomb-verine? I'm going with Bomb-verine.
This is the most conceptual and graphic cover I've done. I've been wanting to do something in this vein recently (more on that when I talk about the cover of #52) and with the idea of "Wolverine as a bomb" I saw my chance. The editor, Jeanine Schaefer, suggested a bomb schematic idea, which is a good idea. I put it all through some problem solving and came to the idea to do it like an x-ray. I got really pumped on the idea of drawing Wolverine's x-ray. I've only just imagined how his skeleton really looks. Now I would find out-- by making it up.

 I also had to make up an x-ray of a bomb... I am certain that I'm flagged by the FBI now for all the bomb-related searches I was doing.

Here's the black and white version. I actually drew all the x-ray stuff negative to what you see here. So it was black on white rather than white on black.
And here's my sketch. I don't typically do my sketches in color, but the colors were important to this image coming off right.

And before I go-

I DONE GONE BLOGGED!





9 comments:

  1. Who needs coffee with art like this?! Face-meltingly hot! Is this what will be on the studio wall after the paint job? (fingers crossed;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might actually look cool. The very red image on red walls. Black frame. I can see it. I'm actually afraid all the red is going to make me more and more angry...(If you're reading this and you don't know, aamcconnell is one of my studio mates. Jeremy Barlow, Ben Bates, and I are painting our area of the studio this weekend. RED)

      Delete
  2. Man, when I saw this my initial reaction was "its just not fair (to all the other covers)." All your covers for the series have been all sorts of rad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jim. I really appreciate the positive feedback.

      Delete
  3. I would have called it Dr. Strangelogan. Either way, that is the coolest cover I've seen awhile. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that is better than Bombverine. (I'm for any reference to Kubrick.) And thanks! Your positive comment has nourished me.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. HA! Another good "signing off" line... Clearly that dialog is still in my head. (For everybody else: The line "I DONE GONE BLOGGED!" was inspired by the episode "Jon Done Gone Nuts" of the show Delocated. Jeremy and I caught that episode in our hotel room at the Emerald City Comic Con. The show had us rolling. The lines "I done gone nut" and "pris happens" are what we are referencing here.)(side note: the word "dinja" was inspired by a line of dialogue that has been in my head since I was like 10 years old from the movie Dances With Wolves. The line was "You turned injun, dinja?" I've also been know to say that line as "You turned ninja, dinja?")

      Delete
    2. Your graphic solution paid off big time- this cover is an instant classic. You got this, you got the gay wedding... you're building up a collection of classic X-Men covers. What're ya' doin' over here?

      Delete