Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Entry 14: Happy Halloween from the Jelly


This month I was already under a tight deadline when I got the gig for the Kotor 26 cover, which was needed a.s.a.p. The way things were going it didn't look like I was going to do anything for the Jelly of the Month. The subject for the month is simply Halloween. I had decided to sit this month out but I couldn't help thinking what I would draw. There are a lot of different ways to go with that subject. You could focus on trick or treating or on horror, or monsters. But, like with every jelly, I try to get at the heart of what it means to me. Monsters and horror themes didn't seem specific enough to Halloween, and trick or treaters, though they are specifically Halloween, put a face and character to what I thought was more a spirit or feeling. I started thinking of the things that people decorate with during Halloween. Jack-o-lanterns, bats, skeletons, and spiders. The picture formed pretty quickly in my mind. I got to a point where I really wanted to draw it. I did manage to make my deadlines so I ended up having my chance. And here it is.
 Once again, check out the other artists take on this subject at the Jelly of the Month blog.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice! Tell Randy it started as a portrait of Jar Jar, but went a bit astray...
    :)

    ReplyDelete